April 30th 1967
Three lined letters measuring 8.5" by 11" were mailed on the six months anniversary of the slaying of Cheri Jo Bates.
Cheri Jo Bates (18) was murdered on Sunday October 30th 1966 in an alleyway outside the Riverside City College Library, brutally stabbed and slashed numerous times with a short bladed instrument. The killer had sabotaged her Volkswagen Beetle car by tampering with the middle wire of her distributor, with the intention of luring the young girl to her death. Read more...
The letters were mailed to the following addresses:
1. Sent to her father Joseph Bates at
4195 Via San Jose, Riverside, California.
2. Sent to the Riverside Press Enterprise at 3512 14th Street, Riverside, California.
3. Sent to the Riverside Police
Only the letter sent to the victims father had been adapted to read 'SHE HAD TO DIE THERE WILL BE MORE.' Like the Confession Letter a fingerprint was retrieved, however to this day no suspects have been identified
The letter Z or something resembling it was placed at the foot of the note.
1. Mailed to Joseph Bates
2. Mailed to the Riverside Press Enterprise
3. Mailed to the Riverside Police Department
FBI files, Zodiac 5, page 50/249